The Delton Fire Department was organized on February 2, 1932 after two destructive fires occurred the previous year. In August 1931, the 70-year-old Delton Masonic Hall, a wooden structure, was destroyed and on November 1, 1931 a fire consumed the first Purple Grackle Dance Hall on what is now known as County Hwy A. Until that time, Delton had to call either the Kilbourn or Baraboo Fire Departments for aid.
The new department consisted of six men and a one-third share of a fire truck, whose ownership Delton shared with Kilbourn and the Town of Newport in Columbia County.
“If there was a fire, the men from the Dells would bring the truck over there, but then we would have to go back to the Dells to hang the wet hoses and somehow find a way back to Delton,” Ember Adams recalled. Ember Adams was the last surviving member of the department’s early days.
In June 1932 the Morris Hotel on Mirror Lake burst into flames, the Delton and Kilbourn crews asked for aid from Baraboo who responded to the wrong location. The Morris Hotel was a total loss.
One-third ownership in the fire truck was Delton’s only fire fighting asset until 1944 when the town board approved the purchase of a ladder, ropes, pike poles and a trailer to haul this equipment to fires. This approval only came after the department was unable to save a drowning victim due to lack of equipment.
In 1944 Sarrington Construction Company (Scott Construction) donated the use of a water truck for several months. This enabled the department to receive its own charter in the fall of 1944. The following spring they purchased this vehicle from Sarrington Construction Company and stored it in Bill Cole’s garage.
In 1949 the department purchased an old Packard hearse from Fedderly Funeral Homes of Wisconsin Dells to use as a rescue vehicle.
“We started using the town garage, which was located at the present site of the Delton Fire Department to store the truck. When the township built a new garage in 1951, at the same location, they gave us two stalls in the ‘old part” to store out water struck and the new Persh Pumper which we had purchased from the Kilbourn Fire Department in 1950” Ember Adams recalled.
Ember Adams – 50 year Member of the Delton Fire Department
- Past and Present Delton Fire Department Chiefs
- 2012 Memorial Day Photo of Past & Present Fire Members
- Semi Crash – Jan 17, 2011 I90/94 Mirror Lake Bridge
- 2008 Delton Fire Department Members
- 2006 Delton Fire Department – Officers and Members
- Little George Drive Fire
- 2005 Memorial Day Parade
- Schultz Fire 2003
- 1968 DFD Banquet
- 1967 DFD Banquet
- Lighthouse Cove Fire (Dells Events Page 1)
- Lighthouse Cove Fire (Dells Events Page 2)
- Images from the 1970’s