Download Application: PollWorkerApp
WANTED: POLL WORKERS TO BE A PART OF THE ELECTION DAY TEAM
The Village of Lake Delton is looking for RESPONSIBLE, NONPARTISAN, HARDWORKING people to help with a VERY IMPORTANT part of the Election Process ….. POLL WORKERS!
WHAT ARE POLL WORKERS? Poll workers are local voters, appointed by the Village Board to make up the “ELECTION BOARD” for Village of Lake Delton. They are responsible for the administration of election procedures in the polling place on Election Day. Poll workers are sworn to see that the election process is administered fairly, efficiently, and according to WISCONSIN STATUTES and FEDERAL LAWS. Being a poll worker is a very important part of the election process and each worker must understand and follow the election laws.
HOW ARE POLL WORKERS SELECTED? Anyone interested can complete and sign the attached application and return it to the Clerk’s office. When the application is received, your name will be added to our file of those willing to serve. If you are selected to work, you will be required to complete training sessions and you will be notified far enough in advance of an election so that you can make arrangements for that day.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All workers are required to arrive at the polling place by 6:45 A.M. on Election Day. You should bring food, beverages and medications needed for the day as you will not be able to leave except in an emergency. We will provide lunch. You are required to remain until all post-election work is completed and the Clerk or Deputy Clerk releases you. When the election has been secured and all work has been shared and completed (after 9:00pm), your workday is over. Remember the polling place is open for voting 7:00 am until 8:00 pm.
WILL THERE BE A TRAINING CLASS? YES! If you are selected to work, you will be REQUIRED to attend training classes. Wisconsin law requires training once every two years
SPECIAL ABILITIES ARE NECESSARY AND REQUIRED TO BE A POLL WORKER! YOU MUST:
• Be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the Village of Lake Delton. If over 18 must be a registered voter. (High School Students over age 16 with Principal and Parents’ Permission)
• Be able to speak, read and write the English language. Have the ability to distribute the correct ballot to each voter, and complete certain forms as well as any other assigned duties. Be able to hear and communicate with workers and voters.
• Have patience and the special ability to deal with the public courteously and efficiently.
• Handle voters with special needs or disabilities with extra patience and diligence.
• Have transportation to the polling place and poll worker training classes.
• Be available to work at a polling place beginning at 6:45 AM and stay until all work is completed. The Clerk will release you when ALL work is completed. (Voting hours are 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.)
• There could be long periods of sitting and/or standing when extra busy.
• Be able to lift and assemble the voting equipment weighing up to 55 pounds.
• Refrain from any comments or discussion concerning a voter, a voter’s party preference, a candidate or issue, with either a voter or fellow poll worker, while working at the polls. You MUST remain nonpartisan during working hours.
WILL I BE PAID? YES! You will be paid for attending training classes and working Election Day. Compensation for training and serving on election day is $10.00 per hour.
***Every poll worker position is essential on Election Day. Any person selected must be willing to work and keep those days clear of any other appointments, if possible. If a poll worker is absolutely unable to work on any Election Day, our office must be notified immediately so that we may have time to appoint/train another worker.
Even numbered years –Spring Primary – 3rd Tuesday in February
Spring Election- 1 st Tuesday in April
Partisan Primary – 2nd Tuesday in August
General Election – 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November
Odd numbered years – Spring Primary – 3rd Tuesday in February
Spring Election – 1st Tuesday in April